International Website

Student Visa Information

Students who are coming to New Zealand to study full time for longer than three months must obtain a Student Visa.

A Student Visa is an endorsement on a passport to allow students to study in New Zealand at a particular school. It is usually valid for a few months to a year, depending on how long you want to study in New Zealand.  Your agent or parents will help you to get a student visa in your home country.If your student visa expires when you are studying in New Zealand and you want to study for longer, the international staff will help you to get your new visa.  We closely check when students’ visas are going to expire.

 To make an application for a Student Visa, applicants need:

  • to complete the online application form
  • the application fee
  • their passport, which must be valid to a date 6 months past the date the student plans to leave New Zealand
  • evidence of financial support for the period of time in New Zealand (the prepayment of homestay accommodation may be taken into consideration for this)
  • a formal Offer of Place from Wellington High School
  • a receipt for payment of tuition fees
  • evidence of a guarantee of accommodation – the school will provide this if it arranges student homestay

Sometimes a student may need –

  • a completed New Zealand Immigration Service Medical Certificate
  • a Police Certificate from the country of citizenship (once a student is 17 or over)

Full details of visa and permit requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at



Wellington High School has agreed to observe and be bound by the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students published by the Minister of Education. Copies of the Code are available from this institution or from the New Zealand Qualifications website at